[H-GEN] interesting routing

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Thu Apr 22 02:43:14 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Martin Pool <martinp at mincom.com>)

Michael Anthon wrote:

> I think the issue (from my perspective at least) is that someone elses DNS
> is giving a response to something that they should not give a response
> to....  How that request ever actually gets there in the first place I have
> no idea.

There should be no requests for reserved blocks on the Internet at
large.  If they do get there, ISI handles them by returning a bogus
domain name that doesn't break clients, but tells interested parties
that there's a problem.

The addresses should not be visible on the net, and nor should reverse
lookups (or for that matter forward lookups).  ISI are quite reasonable
in this matter IMNSHO.

> I would have thought that the top level server would ignore (or at
> least return an error) for any addresses in the defined range of private
> addresses.

Why would you think that?  Returning a bogus name is less harmful to
most clients than failing.

> This is annoying since I am seeing my local address space resolve to
> something owned by someone else.

If your local network wants to resolve those addresses, then your local
nameserver had better answer queries for them, or at least not forward
them out.  Add an authoritative zone.  End of story.

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Pty. Ltd.     |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only