[H-GEN] Vi ditty

Jason Henry Parker jasonp at uq.net.au
Wed Apr 21 08:07:07 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Jason Henry Parker <jasonp at uq.net.au>)

What follows is a little ABC of vi that I hacked up over the course of
an afternoon or two in the cello labs a few weeks ago.   (Many thanks
to Anthony and Clinton for their editorial support.)

If anyone can think of some better lines, mail them back to me (or the
list, I guess, though followups should probably go to -chat, not
-general), if you'd be so kind.  (If you do follow up to the list, be
sure to *trim your quoting*.  This thing is big enough already!  :)

---8<---CUT HERE---8<---

a is for append, add to a line,
b is for backword, one at a time.

c is for caret, head of the pack,
d is for dollar, right at the back.

e is for emacs, they'll see the light,
f is for find, scan left to right.

G is for go, where no man has before,
h is for help, there is no succour.

i is for insert, without any fuss,
j is for down, made sense to us.

k is for up, intuitive, no?
l is for right, made up as we go.

m is for mark, position at cursor,
n is for next, look a bit further.

o is for open, insert what you forgot,
p is for paste, not much or a lot.

q is for question, search backward like sed,
r is for replace, put something instead.

s is for slash, search from this place,
t is for tilde, switching the case.

u is for undo, vi has not much,
v is for visual, interactive, one touch!

w is for word, forward so far,
x is for delete, killing a char.

y is for yank, into some buffer,
Z is for quit, with Z, his twin brother.

---8<---CUT HERE---8<---

Cheers,

jason

--
``And those same things that would have repelled most ____
others, they were the very magnets that thus drew me. \ _/__