[H-GEN] FINAL REMINDER: AUUG Qld CTC Thursday 22nd April!

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Sun Apr 18 20:12:15 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Christopher Biggs <chris at stallion.oz.au>)

Hey y'all.   I think this didn't make it to announce last week, so
I'll spam HUMBUG one last time.

BTW, on of the speakers, Greg Ungerer (attendee at the very first
HUMBUG meeting), was responsible for the recent Linux Coldfire port.
His stuff should be interesting.

| A final reminder for the AUUG Queensland Chapter Technical Conference, to be
| held this Thursday (22nd April) at Brisbane's Parkroyal Hotel.  The QAUUG
| CTC features a full day's program of presentations directly relevant to
| managers and technical folks involved with UNIX, Linux, or open source
| software.
|
| A summary of the presentations follows; a full list of speakers and
| registration form in PDF format is attached to this message.  As a final

or not, in fact.  I chopped it off.  Text version appended below.

> [...]
| QUT, and also heading Unix System Laboratories in Japan.  Dr Clark will
| speak on the future of UNIX.
|
| Richard Keech: Will Linux Rival Microsoft?
|
| The recent emergence of Linux raises some exciting possibilities.  This
| paper examines the relative merits of Linux and Windows NT 4.0 and attempts
| to gauge the prospects for Linux being a serious rival for Microsoft's
| enterprise offerings.  The paper shows how the Open Source development model
| will have a deep impact on the software industry.  Also presented will be
| revealing recent performance benchmarks comparing Linux and NT.
|
| Michi Henning: Computing Fallacies
|
| "I was going to have a good old rave about all the things we are doing wrong
| in this industry. You know, 'Objects are going to save the world', 'Reuse
| happens by magic', "Components are going to save the world', 'Computers are
| getting faster', 'Computers are getting easier to use', etc, etc."
|
| "I also want to talk about the immaturity of the industry as a whole.  Any
| industry that publishes books such as 'C++ in 20 Easy Lessons' has an awful
| lot of growing up to do..."
|
| Peter Dettori: Itsy - A Platform for Pocket Computing Research
|
| As powerful computers shrink to the pocket, belt and wrist the established
| computing paradigm become less practical.  New user interfaces (UIs) are
| required to provide an effective and useable interface to the user, and at
| the system level what made sense on the desktop isn't necessarily good on
| portable architectures.  The Itsy Pocket Computer has been developed at the
| Compaq Western Research Lab and Systems Research Centre to facilitate
| research into the issues
| developing small devices. The goal of the Itsy project is to learn about
| issues relating to the development of small devices; user interface issues,
| power management, networking, and the development of applications for small
| devices. Linux was chosen as the OS because of the rapid start to
| development it afforded and the need for a flexible extensible software
| environment.  This talk shall discuss what Itsy is and will become, the
| motivations for developing the Itsy and the
| completed and current research and development that is taking the Itsy team
| towards their goals.
|
| Greg Ungerer: Building Low Cost Embedded Network Appliances with Linux
|
| The Linux operating system is a popular choice for building network servers
| of all sizes. Given this strong network background Linux makes a perfect
| platform to build small, low cost, embedded network appliances. Linux is
| typically used on interactive, general purpose computing platforms - like
| PC's, work-stations and larger servers. There are a number of unique
| challenges in getting Linux into and operating happily on embedded hardware
| - hardware that has limited and minimal resources. This presentation will
| describe some of the rationales and experiences in porting Linux to a

Registration form: