[H-GEN] Zip drives?

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 8 06:28:13 EDT 1999

(Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Frank Brand <fbrand at uq.net.au>)

Chris Baird wrote:

> (Note reply-to: being general at humbug.org.au vs Chris Baird <cbaird at turing.une.edu.au>)
>
> > > Has anyone any comments on Zip drives as a backup medium under Linux?
>

> I do-- Brushtail's backups fortunately gzip in at ~87 Meg, and I've used
> a SCSI model Zip drive regularly for backups and offline storage for
> about 18 months.  Easily more reliable than using tapes (never had a
> medium error over 20 discs), and performance is good.  I've even
> accidently smashed it open, and fixed by hand...

Sometimes I think that, unless you want to keep lots of discs over a long time, it is more cost effective to buy another HDD - removable if you like - and just back up to that.

Its cheap, fast. If you got a 4Gb drive around $230 at 87 mb a fortnight, the 4Gb-er would last about 2 years. It is just as unlikely for two HDD's to fail together as one HDD and a Tape unit or Zip

--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at uq.net.au
Home Page: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzfbrand