[H-GEN] Configuring Mutt

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Sep 26 07:24:17 EDT 1998

On Sat, Sep 26, 1998 at 08:51:09PM +1000, mls wrote:
> I can only assume that it is a Sendmail problem. Here is what happens when
> I try to send a message to my student account (please humour me):

> ... while talking to smtp.uq.edu.au.:
> <<< 501 <mls at localhost.localdomain>... Sender domain must exist

Okay. *This* is a sendmail problem.

There are two aspects:
	* First, you *don't* want to call your computer localhost.localdomain.
	  Make up a real name for it, and call it that.

	* The second is that the UQ mail servers need to be able to
	  resolve your domain name. So calling yourself "www.microsoft.com"
	  will work, whereas "michaels.computer.at.home" won't. You pretty
	  much have two choices for names that work: either
	  s123456.student.uq.edu.au, which will work straight away,
	  otherwise you need to get a real name, like "azure.humbug.org.au",
	  or "foo.blah.net". In which case you need to ask the admin of
	  "humbug.org.au" or "blah.net".

> 501 s340350 at student..uq.edu.au... Data format error

This is also a problem.

> Any ideas? I'm afraid none of my Linux books are very expansive when it
> comes to setting up electronic mail.

Check through /usr/doc/HOWTO, /usr/doc/sendmail* and similar. They usually
help.

Getting sendmail right is generally difficult on a number of grounds
though: Unix is used to a *real* network connection, not a dialup
one. That causes problems. Sendmail has something of a take no prisoners
attitude. And rather than having everything you need to do mail in one
place, everything you need to do mail is spread over three or four places
-- MTA, MUA and MDA.

> I apologise if this all seems
> rather ignorant and obtuse, but I am rather new to this aspect of Linux (I
> have just made the transition from 75% Linux and 25% Windows to 100%
> Linux, except for occasionally running Smalltalk).

There's GNU smalltalk if you're feeling game.

I don't *think* I know anyone who's got it working yet.

Cheers,
aj

       ``There's nothing worse than people with a clue.
             They're always disagreeing with you.''
                                 -- Andrew Over