[H-GEN] Configuring Mutt

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Fri Sep 25 11:24:16 EDT 1998

I'm tipsy, so take the following with a grain of salt. Kind of like a
tequilla, I suppose.

On Fri, Sep 25, 1998 at 08:45:49AM +1000, James McPherson wrote:
> mls writes:
>  > I've just installed Mutt on my Linux box and have used it successfully to
>  > retreive my mail from student, but I'm having problems when I try
>  > to send mail -- basically it is trying to send the mail from my
>  > local address rather than from my student address. I'm sure there is a
>  > simple solution, but I haven't yet been able to find it. I'd greatly
>  > appreciate any help anyone can give me.
> I believe you need to setup mutt to use smtp.uq.edu.au as your mail relay
> host. Either that or configure your box's sendmail/qmail/exim(one true mailer)
> to use smtp.uq.edu.au as a smart relay host. To do that in sendmail, look for
> the line starting DS and change it to DSsmtp.uq.edu.au

Hmmm? My impression was that the problem was the "From: " line that mutt
was putting on the mails, not the actual "get it to the recipient" part
(which is what setting a smart-host fixes).

I *think* something like
	my_hdr "From: Foo <foo at bar.baz>"
in your ~/.muttrc should do it, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

You can also do mail masquerading from sendmail (or exim, or qmail)
I think, which might be worth looking into -- it'll make

	echo foo | mail -s bar baz at quuz

work too, but I've never been able to quite grok how mail masquerading
works.

The best solution is to get your computer a real name
(foobar.humbug.org.au), and call it that, and have that accept mail. This
requires more pain if you're on a private IP (ie, a customer of an ISP
like UQ), but is probably worth it in the long run.

Please ensure you understand how the DNS works before you try the latter
suggestions btw. my_hdr should work fine if you don't want to think.

Cheers,
aj

       ``There's nothing worse than people with a clue.
             They're always disagreeing with you.''
                                 -- Andrew Over