[H-GEN] ppp pleez..

Craig Eldershaw ce at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 20 08:08:18 EDT 1998

Hi Andy,

>i still have a problem hooking up via ppp, tho' from my reading of the
>debugging output everything seems fine at this end; i have a ream of
>output from syslogd and i can't talk to anyone!

Who can't you talk to ?  Can you not reach any computer other than your
own ?

Several diagnostic tests:

ifconfig

    Should say something comforting about ppp0 being up.

ping <your-own-ip>

    If this doesn't work, then networking is badly broken at your end -
    bring it into Humbug for a checkover. :-) (oh, and ip, means a
    number [eg.  11.222.123.221], not a hostname).  If you have a
    dynamicly allocated ip, then skip over this for a moment.

ping <ppp-other-end>

    Again, you want a number here, not a name.  This is the ip of the
    machine at your isp's end.  You probably have it as an option to ppp
    on the right hand side of a `:'.  If this doesn't work then the ppp
    link itself is at fault.

ping 130.102.2.20
ping student.uq.edu.au

    If the first works, but not the second, then you have a DNS problem,
    check your /etc/host.conf, /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf
    files.  If they both work, then waht are you complaining about ? :-)
    If neither works, then your routing is probably broken; check your
    default route (give the command "route", or if that fails, try
    "route -n").

If still stuck, then report back to the list with the results of the
above tests, and a copy of your ppp configuration file/command-line
options.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
	Craig.