[H-GEN] pppd

Byron Ellacott rodent at homer.humbug.org.au
Mon Sep 14 23:52:34 EDT 1998

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 12:39:25PM +1000, Robin & Andy McPherson-Bruce wrote:
> /var/log/messages at times informs me simply that my modem has hung up &
> connection terminated (usually within a couple of secs.), however, on
> occasion connection is terminated after 10-15 secs. sometimes, but not
> always in connection with this, i am told LCP has timed out on
> Config_Requests and also that (my? their?) Receive serial link is not
> 8-bit clean ("all had bit 7 set to 0").
this typically happens when things are Going Wrong :) Try enabling full
PPP debugging, find out what negotiations it's trying to make, and see
if it's even trying to send your password or not.  I had to
(interestingly) supply the ``noauth'' option to ppp in order to make
it use PAP authentication.

(snip from /etc/ppp/options)

# Require the peer to authenticate itself before allowing network
# packets to be sent or received.
# For a PPP Server with script based logins not using PAP or CHAP
# you need to disable this setting.
auth

(end snippage, happy bris ike </ObSouthPark>)

I put the ``noauth'' option in /etc/ppp/peers/provider which is where
Debian keeps such settings.  You *are* using debian, aren't you? :)

(I mention this in particular because the ``auth'' option was at one
stage not enabled in the default configuration, but in a recent pppd
upgrade was set so, and this could be your problem)

> one thing which puzzles me: if cua*are for dial out, why do the docs
> quote ttySn in the dialer script exec pppd command options?
well, none of my boxen actually have /dev/cuaN .. afaik, cuaN and
ttySn have the same major/minor modes, and are just different names
for the same beasties (under linux, that is)

--
Byron Ellacott
BInfTech: http://www.uq.edu.au