[H-GEN] Xwindows

Martin Pool mbp at wistful.humbug.org.au
Wed Sep 9 22:55:28 EDT 1998

On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 12:02:37PM +1000, Byron Ellacott wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 11:26:22AM +1000, Adrian Bolzan wrote:
> > Does anyone know any good books for programming Xwindows interfaces? for
> > instance, if you wanted to learn how to put a button menu or a pull down
> > menu on Xwindows.
> There are several ways to do this
>
> 1) Figure out the X protocol and DIY
> 2) Use Xt/Xlib, there are a few books on this subject
> 3) Use Motif/Lesstif, there are a few more books on this subject
> 4) Use a more recent toolkit, such as Qt or GTK+.  Qt is well
> documented and nonfree.  GTK+ is poorly documented (read: grep
> 'something' /usr/include/gtk/*) but free.
> 5) Use tcl/tk or something similar - very easy, but not as powerful as
> a regular programming language
>
> I use a combination of 4 and 5, mostly, as seems appropriate.
> Examples are the best way to go here.  What languages do you already
> know?

The Dorothy Hill library has a few books on X11 programming, though
they're mainly references rather than tutorials.  I'm using GTK+ too,
and though the documentation is currently a bit sketchy there's plenty
of example code -- and if one is already familiar with GUI programming
then I think that's the most useful thing.

--
Martin Pool

"This product not intended for use by personnel incapable of
 understanding the manual."
			-- boy brent