[H-GEN] Xwindows

Adrian Bolzan A.Bolzan at chemistry.uq.edu.au
Sat Oct 24 20:26:40 EDT 1998

At 18:46 24/10/98 +1000, Byron Ellacott wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 12:02:37PM +1000, Byron Ellacott wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 11:26:22AM +1000, Adrian Bolzan wrote:
>um, was it just me that got this mail today? (24th Oct) ?

	You obviously have returned from the Twilight Zone, only to find that time
has moved on without you. ;-)

Onto another question i have about Xwindows programming...

i thought i would try using the Athena widget set for a menu program.  I
have a programming manual for the X11R3/4 releases.  I can make a simple
menu but am a bit confused about one aspect.

Basically, i want to create a menu (not a popup type), which has as its
options a set of items that are set by the user, and that can be changed in
a resource file (this file may just be an array of strings).  So, the
number of widgets has to be updated and changed each time the program runs.
 Does that make sense?

so, imagine the menu has:
	item1
	item2
	item3
which are listed in a resource file that can be added to, say with item 4,
or item 3 can be removed.  These, items would also change over tiem as more
options would be added by the user.

So, my question is, is there a simple way for the menu to be
updated/increased or decreased in size at run-time, where the items are not
hard-coded into the program?  i am a bit confused. ;-)

thanks for any help you can give.

adrian b.