[H-GEN] Hard Drive Problems

James McPherson jmcphers at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au
Wed Oct 21 23:33:47 EDT 1998

Robert Brockway writes:
 > On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Frank Brand wrote:
 > > You seem to have some setup problems here. When you are trying to load
 > > Linux how many HDD's and CD's or other EIDE devices have you connected
 > > and where are they (hda, hdb, hdc or hdd)? Is your CD configured as a
 > > slave (this is unimportant in Windows but can be critical in Linux) ie
 > > is the jumper set foe Slave?
 >
 > Originally the Linux kernel obeyed the standard which disallowed a lone
 > slave on an ide channel.  however, after many ppl complained that their
 > box had been incorrectly setup and they would have to open the case
 > (possibly voiding warranty) to fix this, the kernel was modified to allow
 > for a lone slave on a box.  so having the Cd as a slave shpuldn't matter.
 > This was done quite some time ago, so all but the olderest kernels now in
 > use should be fine with this.

but of course it's all moot if your primary ide channel decides to die on
you. :( grrrrr. hopefully I won't need to get a new motherboard though. Does
anybody know if disabling an onboard primary channel will turn the onboard
physically secondary channel into an onboard primary? Or if disabling an
onboard primary then adding a new channel via plugin card will screw things up?

James C. mcPherson