[H-GEN] 24/7 56k modems

Bruce Campbell bc at thehub.com.au
Tue Oct 20 02:19:24 EDT 1998

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, David Shackleton wrote:

> I've received a wonderful mixture of recommendations from a few ISP's
> regarding modems recommended for 24 hr use.  Some praise X2 but recognise
> that it's critical mass is far less than k56flex.  Others recommend
> k56flex purely for the number of people using it.
> The other however, recommend v.90, the ITU standard.  What I'm not clear
> on, is which of the following is true, if any:

This was asked last week:

 What is V90? , I have a Banksia Wave sp56 modem, apparently I can
 upgrade to have V90 , what exactly is V90 and what are the
 advantages/disadvantages?
 Thanks

 ====================== Resolved/Mailed by bruce  Oct 16 10:26:5 1998
 V.90 is the 'approved' 56K standard.  Previously, there were
 two competing 56K protocols, 'X2' and 'Flex'.  Naturally, they
 were incompatible with each other causing much confusion and
 frustration among users, particularly if their favoured ISP
 went to a different standard from the modem they bought.

 Some attempts were made to run both standards on the same modem
 banks, something which is technically possible, but these were
 struck down by some rather short-sighted licensing restrictions;
 ie, TheHub uses equipment made by Bay Networks for its 56K
 dialins.  These can run X2 and Flex at the same time, but Bay is
 not allowed to release the code that makes this possible.

 (We have two of these dialin boxes, so you'd think that we could
  have one X2 + V.90 and one Flex + V.90, but there are a few
  other issues with Telstra and phone lines preventing this. So
  both are Flex + V.90)

 The International Telecommunications Union stepped in and
 declared:

 : 'We cannot show favouritism towards either X2 or Flex,
 : for we shall be hurt either way.  Therefore, we shall take the
 : best of both protocols and meld them into a new one, which
 : everyone shall use with joy, and provide upgrades from the older
 : 56K protocols.  We, in our wisdom, have named this, V.90.
 : Yeah, verily.'

 And there was much rejoicing from the consumers and much
 grumbling from the equipment manufacturers, but they had to
 comply or lose face.

 http://www.itu.int/newsroom/press/releases/1998/98-04.html

 Thats pretty much the story behind V.90 .   Also have a look
 at http://www.v90.com/ for more information on upgrading your
 modem to V.90, or contact Banksia themselves.

 Cheers ;)

 --Bruce
 --Systems Administrator
 --Hub Communications