[H-GEN] 24/7 56k modems

Byron Ellacott rodent at route-qn.uqnga.org.au
Tue Oct 20 01:29:11 EDT 1998

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 03:29:40PM +1000, David Shackleton wrote:
> The other however, recommend v.90, the ITU standard.  What I'm not clear
> on, is which of the following is true, if any:
>  -v.90 is backward compatible with x2
>  -v.90 is backward compatible kflex
>  -v.90 is a least common denominator of x2 and flex
>  -v.90 is less robust than x2 but more robust than kflex (stable carrier)
>  -v.90 is like a 3rd standard, where it's neither kflex nor x2 compatible
v.90 is the common ground between x2 and flex, it is compatible with
*neither*.

> If your ISP recommends v.90, what brand/model would -you- buy for a
> 24hr/7day link?
USR chipset, if you can, they're ok - and v.90 protocol :) most modems
these days are flashable to whichever protocol you want.  we have a
KTX modem here, and our ISP use flex.  The modem will do flex, but has
severe stability problems with it - *very* severe.

--
Byron Ellacott
BInfTech: http://www.uq.edu.au