[H-GEN] Networking portables...

David Wood dwood at plugged.net.au
Mon Oct 5 01:35:12 EDT 1998

Anthony Towns wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out a nice way of getting sapphire (my laptop)
> setup so that I can more or less just plug it into a network (be it home,
> work, uni, humbug, or elsewhere) and have it "just work".

Yeah, we have this problem at Plugged In.  Our latest thought is to set
up a run level for each network that the machine needs to be on, then
use LILO to go to the appropriate runlevel on boot.  that way, you
simply have to type 'humbug', 'home', etc at the LILO prompt.

The down side to this is that your runlevel scripts aren't standard and
you have to be careful during upgrades/rebuilds.  We plan to get around
that by rsynch'ing the approrpriate files from an NFS mount after the
upgrade occurs.

Cheers,
Dave
David Wood                   | Telephone:  +61 7 3876 7140
mailto:dwood at plugged.net.au  | Facsimile:  +61 7 3876 7142
http://www.plugged.net.au    | PGP Key available via finger