[H-GEN] shadow passwd+qpopper problems

Laurence J. Rietberg laurence at uq.net.au
Mon Nov 9 08:12:03 EST 1998

Dear list,

To further a question I posed recently on irc regarding problems with
shadow passwords and qpopper my Linux (RH, 5.1), I have been able to
extract the source of an rpm and modify some settings and rebuild it.

However, my modifications did not result in a qpopper binary that works
with shadow passwords.

On one try I simply added the -DAUTH flag to enable qpopper to work with
shadow passwords.  One vexing problem is that the compile has a line which
I'm sure is related to why I still cannot get qpopper to work properly with
shadow passwords (email client always says "wrong password" when shadow
passwords are set).  This line reads "-lshadow" set ...no, but I cannot
find in Makefile.in where I need to set this.

Has anyone been successful in enabling shadow passwords on Linux, without
interfering with the operation of qpopper?

thankyou,
Laurence