[H-GEN] motd

Byron Ellacott rodent at route-qn.uqnga.org.au
Thu May 21 21:15:28 EDT 1998

On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 02:21:53PM +1000, Paul Gearon wrote:
> Is there some way to run /usr/games/fortune for the when
> /etc/motd is read?  I guess I could use cron, or even have
> the general login script update it, but I was wondering if
> there was something more direct?
fortune(1) is typically run in one of the profiles, such as
/etc/profile.  There'll be a command somewhere in there that dumps out
/etc/motd, just add your fortune command there

Alternatively, be a smartarse and do the following :)

mknod /etc/motd p
while true ; do fortune > /etc/motd ; done &

then, cat /etc/motd repeatedly, and say ``ooooh'' :)