[H-GEN] RH modules (long)

Martin Pool mbp at meesha.humbug.org.au
Wed May 20 04:31:24 EDT 1998

>Ahh.  I didn't know it was refering to a device.  I guess the word
>"char" should have been a giveaway.

"major" should have, too.  Unix devices are uniquely identified by a major
number and a minor number.  You might equally well say

  yesmistress# mknod /tmp/myconsole c 4 0
  yesmistress# fortune >/tmp/myconsole

to produce output on the console, or

  yesmistress# mknod /tmp/mydisk b 3 0
  yesmistress# fortune >/tmp/mydisk

for hours of fun to recover your partition table.

>Uhhhh... nope!  I figured (incorrectly) that since the machine can
>sense that it is running headless then it should know to do something
>more appropriate with the console.

"Unix does not try to prevent you from doing stupid things, because that
would probably also prevent you from doing clever things."

>Is there any way I can do that through silo.conf?  Or possibly
>change the console at some point during boot up?  I don't really want
>to lug the machine back to a keyboard and monitor if I can avoid it.

Silo I don't know about.  Under lilo, you should put in your lilo.conf

  image = /boot/linuz-2.2.0
         append = "console=/dev/ttyS1"           # add this line

depending on how your console is connected.  I guess you could run it
without even a dumb term, but... that's too scary for a first step.

>> /usr/src/linux/./include/linux/major.h:22:#define TTY_MAJOR    4
>
>Now if I only I knew to look in there!

The missing line was

  yesmistress$ grep -n MAJOR $(find /usr/src/linux/ -type f)

--
Martin Pool