[H-GEN] Re: [H-ANNOUNCE] Constitutional amendments

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Jun 23 07:32:16 EDT 1998

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 11:09:01AM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, David Starkoff wrote:
> >   *  Should club members not able to attend SGMs (or AGMs) be able to
> >      proxy their votes?
> We have allowd this Constitutionally in the past.  I am in 2 minds as to
> whether it is a good idea or not.  So far no proxy vote has ever been
> crucial in a result, and that is probably a good thing.  If we are
> reviewing it, I would suggest removing the provision for proxy votes.

Why?

If it's because people who can't attend meetings aren't likely to be as
well informed as those who can, then we should address that problem by
giving them more of an opportunity to get informed; not by arbitrarily
deciding that their opinions aren't worth listening to.

We're a computer user group; surely it's not beyond us to realise that
physical presence isn't always a crucial factor.

Cheers,
aj

      ``It's not a vision, or a fear. It's just a thought.''