[H-GEN] Printer setup help

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Sun Jun 21 20:42:05 EDT 1998

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Michael wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to set up my printer (it is a Brother HJ-400 bubblejet B&W) it
> emulates the EPSON ESC/P (LQ-510) and IBM PPS II 2390, where do i go about
> getting drivers? from ..

The great thing about Linux is the driver is already there :)  I can't
recall if we put printer support in the kernel we compiled for your box
the other day.

It is currently impossible to run a winprinter under linux btw, but they
are pretty rare.

Anyway, you'll need a filter to get the most out of your printer.  Try
magicfilter for a good selection of filters and just follow the setup
instructions.  Worked for me first time and I had never done anything with
printers under linux before.

> Also, a problem thats been annoying me heaps, screen blanking, ive look
> through every book on linux i have, ive gone through the setup for
> XFree86, but all to no avail, how do you turn it off? :>

Use this command: xset s off

This will turn the screen saver off.  I do not recomend doing this as it
could cause phosphor burn after a few hours unless your monitor is a new
'smart' one which kills the video internally to avoid a burn.

Use xset s 900 for a 15 minute screensaver timeout (assuming you didn't
turn it off as per above :)

Man xset for more details on this most useful command.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at zen.humbug.org.au, robert at icc.net.au