[H-GEN] Phone and Computer

cjp cjp at gil.com.au
Mon Jun 8 23:13:37 EDT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Grace <s336357 at student.uq.edu.au>
To: Humbug General List <general at humbug.org.au>
Date: Monday, 8 June 1998 10:23
Subject: Re: [H-GEN] Phone and Computer

>On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Daehenoc wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, oPiate wrote:
>>
>> > I was wondering yesterday what can I do with the second phone connector
>> > plug in my pooter. I usually have a phone connected to it so I dont
have
>> > to change the cord at the wall everytime I want to switch between modem
>> > and phone. So i was basically wondering if anyone else had some sort of
>> > similiar setup and would be willing to give me a few tips
>>
>> Umm - plug in some other telephony device, answering machine maybe?
>> (Satellite dish?) I have to unplug my phone from my modem when I want to
>> connect to questnet, 'cause the current drawn by the phone can cause the
>> modem to drop carrier :( btw why did you unplug your phone?

You may wish to try what is known as a privacy aadapter.  Little device like
a double adapter (usually rj11), which completely cuts out one extension
while the other iss live.  Myself and bout 500 1users have no problems. you
will get change from $10

>I've always been curious to find out if you could divert phone signals
>passing through the modem in this way into the computer somehow, because
>then you could implement a "dial your id for outside line" kind of thing
>that would be very handy at phone bill time.

what you are attemtpting to setup sounds like a "PABX by computer thing",
which may be possible, but i imagine you would need: a: a pabx, rather
defeatist.
b: another modem  and dial tone generator.  AFAIK, the "phone" sockes on the
back of the modem is essentially a "mode 3 socket" which is wired straight
through when the modem is on hook, and open when off hook.

>I've no idea if the hardware supports such a thing.

did it cost more than $200

>PD: pardon of my horror syntax english. you must be patient with me.

PS: pardon of my horror syntax english. last night is being playful with me
|-O,,,,