[H-GEN] Phone and Computer

Allen Grace s336357 at student.uq.edu.au
Sun Jun 7 20:00:44 EDT 1998

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Daehenoc wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, oPiate wrote:
>
> > I was wondering yesterday what can I do with the second phone connector
> > plug in my pooter. I usually have a phone connected to it so I dont have
> > to change the cord at the wall everytime I want to switch between modem
> > and phone. So i was basically wondering if anyone else had some sort of
> > similiar setup and would be willing to give me a few tips
>
> Umm - plug in some other telephony device, answering machine maybe?
> (Satellite dish?) I have to unplug my phone from my modem when I want to
> connect to questnet, 'cause the current drawn by the phone can cause the
> modem to drop carrier :( btw why did you unplug your phone?

I've always been curious to find out if you could divert phone signals
passing through the modem in this way into the computer somehow, because
then you could implement a "dial your id for outside line" kind of thing
that would be very handy at phone bill time.

I've no idea if the hardware supports such a thing.

allen
--
PD: pardon of my horror syntax english. you must be patient with me.