[H-GEN] applixware

Paul Gearon gearon at computer.org
Tue Jun 2 01:03:52 EDT 1998

> From:          Rob kearey <r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au>

<snip>
> Welllll, my normal box is a P2/233 with 160M of RAM, so I _do_ notice
> the difference. Your mileage may vary, and with memory so cheap now, you
> might as well go for it.

Well if that is your normal machine, _everything_ would look
ensaddened in comparison.  My guess is that everything would run
faster in comparison to what I let my wife run right now.

Your point about memory is quite correct, however I'm reluctant to
buy more considering that my m/b won't take SDRAM and I want to
upgrade to a new m/b with stacks of SDRAM within the next 12 months.
*Sigh* if only I could buy the SDRAM now and use it on my current m/b
until I upgrade.

> > As for the compatibility issue, what is WordPerfect up to now anyway?
> > I thought it was somewhere around 6.2?  This is the big one to
> > convince wifey that she needn't use windows.  Lack of Word97 support
> > is disappointing, though not insurmountable.  Does anyone know if
> > this is on the Applixware aganda?  RedHat's pages are surprisingly
> > uninformative on this matter.
>
> Applixware 5 (I heard) willhave more filters, and I believe you may be
> able to get extra filters anyway. At any rate, you can just Save As a
> Word 6 file in Word 95/97/98 and import it in ApplixWare.

Which means Wifey needs access to a Windoze box - something I'm
trying to wean her off.  It's not a problem for files we create, but
sometimes she is given a file by someone, and we have no control over
which version that is saved in.

> The latest WordPerfect is 8.0, and there's a native linux version - a
> demo is on the RH 5.1 Products CD.

Really?  Hmmm, it'll probably be too expensive considering that I'll
definately want applixware as well for the spreadsheet.  I'll keep it
in mind though.

<gripe>  // this section can be ignored
I know these programs are too big for my ss2, but I REALLY
wish that some of this s/w was available for non-intel platforms!
eg.  There's a ~$5000AUS UltraSparc out there that would be really
lovely to use as a workstation, but there is very little Linux s/w
for that kind of thing, and using Solaris doubles the price of the
system once you buy all your s/w!  Alphas are getting more affordable
and they seem to miss out as well.

It's the lack of non-intel s/w like this that makes you really
appreciate open source.
</gripe>

Paul

Paul Gearon
gearon at computer.org

Microsoft - Where every morning is the dawn of a new error.