[H-GEN] applixware

Rob kearey r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 2 00:40:57 EDT 1998

Paul Gearon wrote:

[me]

> > Word and Wordperfect up to 6.0. I use it on my linux box thing here;
> > Works fine. Applix+Communicator+KDE ensaddens my (32M) multia, though.
>
> Somehow I don't feel that I would be worse off under this paradigm.
> You can't possibly mean that it is worse that MSWord+Communicator+NT4
> on my (32M) pc can you?!?  :^)  Anyway, if it were then it would be a
> good excuse to convice Wifey that we need an upgrade!

Welllll, my normal box is a P2/233 with 160M of RAM, so I _do_ notice
the difference. Your mileage may vary, and with memory so cheap now, you
might as well go for it.

> As for the compatibility issue, what is WordPerfect up to now anyway?
> I thought it was somewhere around 6.2?  This is the big one to
> convince wifey that she needn't use windows.  Lack of Word97 support
> is disappointing, though not insurmountable.  Does anyone know if
> this is on the Applixware aganda?  RedHat's pages are surprisingly
> uninformative on this matter.

Applixware 5 (I heard) willhave more filters, and I believe you may be
able to get extra filters anyway. At any rate, you can just Save As a
Word 6 file in Word 95/97/98 and import it in ApplixWare.

The latest WordPerfect is 8.0, and there's a native linux version - a
demo is on the RH 5.1 Products CD.

--
Robert Kearey			Network Services
The Prentice Centre		University of Queensland