[H-GEN] g77 for RH5

Michael Dooley m.dooley at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Thu Jul 30 07:26:58 EDT 1998

and I thought I could figure this one out...
I need a g77 compiler .  I got a tar file  g77-0.5.22.bin.tgz from
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/lang/fortran/   and followed
instructions:

"only necessary to download the g77 tgz file and untar it in your /
directory. You should back up your /usr/bin/gcc,
       /usr/bin/g++ and all of /usr/lib/gcc-lib before doing this just
in case something goes wrong. Note that the libf2c.a
       used by f2c is also overwritten, but should still work with f2c
(so install f2c before g77.)"

Did this.  Tried compiling a small C program but gcc was broken so
reinstalled the appropriate RPMS(which may be the equivalent of shooting
myself in the foot) and gcc worked fine.
Came to compiling the fortran program and got an error about crtbegin.o
not existing.  Checked USENET and found I'm not the only one.  Found one
post with a fix which was:
echo "dooley1 () {}" > crtbegin.c
echo "dooley2 () {}" > crtend.c
gcc -c crtbegin.c crtend.c
mv crtbegin.o crtend.o /usr/lib/
which seemed to get me past the crtbegin.o error.
Now I've got this error:
/usr/bin/g77  -o alchemy.x alchemy.o libtinker.a -lf2c -lm -lc
ld: cannot open -lg77: No such file or directory
and I'm completely confused.  I just want my program to work(he says
desperately)
Can someone help me out.  Preferably using very small words and with a
gentle sothing cooing sound that will draw me back off the edge of the
window sill I'm standi