[H-GEN] /var/run/utemp and username 000/000/000

Luke Grant humbug at term.webexpress.net.au
Thu Jul 23 19:32:06 EDT 1998

Hey ppl,
	here at work we have an idle daemon that checks user info from the
/var/run/utmp file. It doesnt do so good....is crashes lots. Anyway we
descovered that is was crashing because it was reading in a user
000/000/000  etc. or a blank user name....it still reported a network
conection though eg. ttyC42

We think that perhaps we read the file (it is accessed every minute) it
was when the user logged of and didn't alow the file to be updated...

Is it possible that race conditions could be the cause of this problem ?

Any useful or insightful comments about getting round this anoying problem
would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

To err is human, to completely stuff up is Microsoft.
Luke Grant
Luke.G at uq.net.au
n2143968 at student.fit.qut.edu.au
techman at webexpress.net.au