[H-GEN] (AUSCERT#38535) Re: The recient spate of port scans and intrusion attempts. (fwd)

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Wed Jul 22 09:00:38 EDT 1998

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, David Starkoff wrote:

> Oh stop being a party pooper, Const Brockway.  :-)  (From my dim, dark
:)

> recollection of criminal law, then if you consciously take the drinks,
> then you can't plead s 28.  In other words, s 28 doesn't help you if you
> only aim to get a little tipsy, but you end up getting blind drunk.)

I'd agree with that.  I have noticed Magistrates don't always completely
agree on it though.  Some ppl have used s28 as a successful defence when
I thought it was inappropriate (they got themselves blind drunk).  I guess
it is a bit of a gray area.

> I can't believe I forgot that one!

No discussion of excalpations (excuses to the lay-person :) is complete
with a run through s25 :)

[Very interesting s24 & s25 example deleted for brevity]

> (Applications of this principle to the computing sphere are left as an
> exercise for the reader...)
>
> Just one of those friendly chappies who arrests us if we break it, huh?
> :-)

;)
Cheers,
	-Robert