[H-GEN] Interest in a Linux game

The Fuzzy One s335810 at student.uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 14 21:57:42 EDT 1998

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 12:48:32AM +1000, David Jericho wrote:

> For some time now, I've talked on and off with many members of Humbug, all
> interested in developing what could be considered a professional quality game
> for Unix. All are talented in their own way, and I feel, a small group of us
> could quite easily pull of a game that would make Windows users drool a
> little. In the windows world, games like Freeciv or nethack, regardless of
> classic nature, just don't appeal.

In the hope that this won't die before conception, like so many humbug
projects in the past, I thought I'd try and get a bit more discussion going
:)

It's a big ambitious to say "let's make a game", and hope to get anything
concrete out of it.  I think we need something more concrete to work on.
It would be really cool if several people could jot down their ideas for
a specific game, and bring them along for discussion, say next humbug.

I suppose we'd be looking at a requirements document for this first phase,
not even full-blown specificiation.

Here are a few ideas from me:
- Unix-based, but as far as possible portable enough to drive anywhere.
- It'd be nice to be able to play it on anything from a humble dumbterm
  to the high end PC, with a scaling of graphics and sound capabilities :)
  AI units could attach to the server in similar ways to the standard clients.
- Multiplayer...
- ?

I don't have to much to say about the gameplay it's self.  I'm sure there
are a lot more expert people in humbug than I for that area.

Some questions to think about:
Action/shoot'em-up, strategy/nethack, or somewhere in between.  Are we going
to base the game on existing interfaces, or are we going to try something
radically new?  If we do choose something to base it on... what?  :)  What
are your favorite games?

Personally... free warcraft sounds good to me ;)  Though that could be hard
to play on a dumbterm without a mouse.  Something based on that kind of
interface at least... presuming we can do it without treading on any patented
wigets.

As to how much of this kind of thing has already been done, I haven't really
researched.  Anyone know of code we could rip off in the name of free
software?  :)

--

  fuzzy BSc.

     <A href="http://student.uq.edu.au/~s335810">www</A>