[H-GEN] AMD K6 thingys

Rob Kearey r.kearey at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Tue Jul 7 01:46:25 EDT 1998

Frank Brand wrote:

> Rob Kearey wrote:
> >
> > What be the difference between the K6 and the K6-2, anyways?

Thanks for the info, Nik. I don't follow the hardware goss much these
days.

> Nik K said it all, except that my information is that, so far, all is
> not well with the Super 7 boards and that they are not all that stable.
> Rumblings from Taiwan were that the motherboard manufacturers may decide
> not to support the standard and opt for Intel's proprietory slots.

That'd be a bugger. What's the problem?

The FIC 2007 I never got around to using is now in bed with a Cyrix
PR233 thing, and gets the hiccups now and again - but then again, it's
an early version of the board. I'm not actually against the slot 1
stuff, but the use the 100 MHz bus one apparently has to shell out $1k~
for a 350 or 400 MHz PII. I find this an onerous burden.

> Recently, when in Hong Kong, I found most of the socket 7 boards were
> supporting mega-speeds - usually up to 133 MHz at least. Further, there
> were a lot of boards carrying VIA MVP3 chipsets and 1Mb of cache

It's a VIA VP3/1 Meg board I'm considering getting. I just lashed out on
a full ATX tower with the 300W power supply, so my balls are in motion,
so to speak.

--
Robert Kearey			Network Services
The Prentice Centre		University of Queensland