[H-GEN] Prob with Pine

Robert Brockway robert at zen.humbug.org.au
Thu Jul 2 03:39:02 EDT 1998

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Michael wrote:

> Imm having a problem with pine 3.96, my inbox has around 1,947 messages in
> it ( i know its large but its all from unix mail lists so i have a large
> collection of questions & lots of awnsers ;) but anyway pine will
> sometimes take a LONG > 1-2 minutes to open a message or move through a
> message, and quitting pine can take as long as 5 minutes, i take it its
> because of the size of the inbox, but mutt nor elm has this problem is
> there a prob with pine 3.96 or just pine in general?

IMHO it is to do with the time taken to load a single large file and do
searches on it.  Perhaps pine doesn't search efficiently, but I can't
really comment.  I have seen the behaviour you are talking about,and opted
to filter mail into different 'folders' using procmail.  I may yet be
changing to mutt, but will be keeping a similar setup.
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert at blake.humbug.org.au,
				robert at humbug.org.au, r.brockway at uq.net.au