[H-GEN] FYI: Internet access via electricity cable system (fw d)

Ross Camm RossC at GENX.com
Sat Feb 21 00:48:59 EST 1998

I have worked on simialar systems in the Electricity industry. Data over
powerlines is nothing new and the electricity industry have been using
it for comms and signaling for years. The technology refered to is power
line carriers, where inductive filters are hung at each end of the line,
and are used to filer out a carrier, which has data modulated onto it.
You can sometimes see these filters, up to 8 feet across, and a 6 foot
internaal diameter, with the high tension line going down the centre of
it.

The technology has recently come to the consumer in the form of hot
water switching, and remote meter readings. I have no idea what seqb's
plans are, but its a opportunity waiting, I would think.

						Rossco