[H-GEN] Hmmmm - who's paranoid? ;)

James Mcpherson J.McPherson at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Mon Feb 16 20:26:11 EST 1998

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Jason Parker wrote:
> > [4] : *THE* reference for computer security.  Defines the famous
> >       C3, C2, C1 security levels that NT weenies are so fond of
> >       touting.  For reference, some unixes, with work, manage a C3
> >       rating, if memory serves.  The ratings go all the way to A1,
> >       where it takes more time to document the code, than to write
> >       it.
> NT scored C2 if it isn't connected to a network.  If it is, I don't think
> it qualifies for a secure rating.  I believe some Unicies have received C2
> accreditation, but I may be wrong.

correction, NT scores a C2 if it's
	1) not connected to a network, and
	2) a very specific configuration (I believe that it's only on
	    compaq hardware that it's certified. you want to run it on
	    anything else, you have to get it recertified)
jcm
libBofh
--
 I do not speak for the University of Queensland or the University Library
J.McPherson at mailbox..uq.edu..au   | this space _not_ for rent.