[H-GEN] patches

Martin Pool mbp at wistful.humbug.org.au
Fri Aug 21 02:12:42 EDT 1998

On Tue, Aug 18, 1998 at 11:36:56AM +1000, Adrian Bolzan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> i downloaded the patches to upgrade my RH to 2.0.33, 2.0.34 and 2.0.35.  I
> was able to get patch 33 on without any trouble.  However, when i tried
> patch 34 it kept on asking me if i wanted to reverse aeverything.  i
> assumed this might be because when i updated the kernel it set all the
> dates to the date of the upgrade.  so i tried to force it (-f) which worked
> for a bit, then gave me an error where it skipped a patch file and then
> halted because it could not find a directory: /usr/src/linux/drivers, even
> though i have a symlink from linux to my source tree of
> /usr/src/linux-2.0.32/..., and it seemed to go ok until then.  any ideas?
> did that make any sense?

1. You have to apply patches in the correct order.

2. When applying patches to bring software up to date, there should
never be any reversed patches, so you should use patch --forward.

3. You may need to adjust the pathnames using -p.

4. Post the output of

  f-m-h$ head -20 whatever.patch

--
Martin Pool