[H-GEN] sparc fest

Michael Anthon anthonm at ats.com.au
Thu Apr 9 09:03:19 EDT 1998

OK, I got the HDD to work !!! WOO HOO !!

Umm... thanks I believe is due to Dave Makepeace (yet again).  The solution
is as follows...

Run a low level format on the disk first (2 out of the 3 we got had to do
this).  The only way I know of to do this is to stick it on an intel box
and use the SCSI card BIOS to do it, if anyone knows of a program to do it
under Sparc Linux, I would like to know of it too thanks !!  Once you have
done this, connect it back into the Sparc and start the install.  When you
get to the bit where you have to run fdisk, use the "s" option in the main
menu to create a new Sun label and let it auto detect.  It seems to get it
right, the geometry does not match the hardware (I believe this is fairly
common) but it seems to work fine.  Then set up your partitions.  These
will have been set automatically when creating the sun label, but it seems
to get it wrong... go figure.  You need to create a Linux native, a Linux
swap and a "complete" disk partition (use the ones created automatically as
a guide) and set the sizes correctly.  That should be it.

I am currently in the process of dloading the sparc install for RH4.2 at
work onto one of these disks in an external case and will probably be going
in some time on Saturday to have a play.  If anyone wants to join me and
bring along their new toy, you are more than welcome (I only have one
AUI<->UTP trancvr though).  Monitor would be optional I guess since I have
3 of them sitting there.

Work is at Stones Corner, drop me an email if your interested.

Regards
Michael Anthon