[H-GEN] Tag RAM and lots of memory

Frank Brand fbrand at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Thu Sep 25 22:21:36 EDT 1997

David Jericho wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Frank Brand wrote:
>
> > The new Via (AMD 640) chipsets cover everything and, from all reports
> > are the fastest chipset available for normal Pentium class machines.
> > However, since I am sure you will be using Pentium Pro/II gear the LX
> > chipset will be your choice. <WINK>
>
> Very nice chipsets are they not? Now imagine a AMD K6 with a 100MHz bus
> running on it.. garh :)~~

Yes I have been looking at getting a K6 myself - hence the sudden
fountain of knowledge on chipsets. However, you may recall my call for
information on problems with the K6 and more than 32 Mb of memory on
Linux. I was intending to try a K6 200 overclocked to 225 and 64 Mb of
RAM.

However, I have been able to get a confirmatory reply from AMD saying
they have a problem (the web site gives a fix <perhaps> for US
purchasers but does not say anything about overseas purchasers).

I believe that the problem may be fixed with chip builds after week 30
but to my very great surprise AMD are being very cagey in providing
information - they have not replied to e-mail on that subject.

Unless AMD is prepared to tell me straight I think I can wait for the
.25 micron builds later this year. Then again, by that stage Intel's
chips might be more reasonably priced anyway. I do believe that they
will be building the K6 chip for 100 MHz bus...but to my knowledge no
boards yet support that speed and the current K6's are decidedly hairy
at 83 MHz
--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at mailbox.uq.edu.au