[H-GEN] core files

Andrae Muys A.Muys at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Thu Sep 25 21:46:03 EDT 1997

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Matthew Tippett wrote:

> John & Christine wrote:
> >
> > is what it reported.
> >
> > /usr/src/linux-2.0.0/net/core
> > /dev/core
> > /var/spool/cron/crontabs/core
> > /proc/sys/net/core
> >
> > are these files ok to delete ?.. or is my understanding of a core file off
> > base ?
> >
> What the net/core one.  it is a directory.
>
> The file (1) command will tell you what each file is.
>
> On my system (RH4.1)
>
> /dev/core does not exist
Well when in doubt, check the source...
$grep "core" /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt
                  6 = /dev/core         OBSOLETE - replaced by /proc/kcore
/dev/core       /proc/kcore     symbolic        Backward compatibility

I know it did exist back in 4.0, so it is probably needed by some ancient
apps that no one actually uses anymore :).

> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/core does not exist
Probably a cron job segfaulted.

> /proc/sys/net/core is a directory
And as it's a part of the /proc hierachy it isn't a normal file so you
can't really delete it (permanantly at least).

> /usr/src/linux/net/core is a directory (associated with the dir above).

And I suggest you don't muck with it, unix dosn't work that well without
networking.