[H-GEN] Mail problems.......*almost* solved

Michael Anthon anthonm at ats.com.au
Wed Sep 24 10:07:36 EDT 1997

Right, more fiddling tonight haas improved matters significantly.  I reset
the modem to factory defaults and started from scratch, double checking all
the settings.

Further reading of the pppd manual indicated that NOT specifying anything
for asyncmap will force it to escape ALL characters, so I tried this as
well.  Using the RedHat config under X and setting the option that says to
escape all characters sets the pppd option "asyncmap 00000000" which,
 unless I misread the manual, means the NO characters get escaped !!!!?????
Am I missing something here?  Turning the option off in the setup gives no
asyncmap option in the pppd call.

I am still getting a fairly largish error count and the occasional MASQ
error, but it seems to be working HEAPS better now anyway.

ppp0      Link encap:Point-Point Protocol
          inet addr:203.20.132.69  P-t-P:203.20.132.2  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING  MTU:552  Metric:1
          RX packets:5160 errors:309 dropped:309 overruns:0
          TX packets:4823 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

Oh, I also set the MTU to 552.  Not sure which of these chagnes had the
biggest effect.  Will need to investgate further (on the weekend I think
now that it is functioning to a point where it is useable)

On Wednesday, September 24, 1997 12:51 AM, Robert Brockway
[SMTP:robert at zen.humbug.org.au] wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Michael Anthon wrote:
>

> This is suggesting the packet got mangled while going through ppp.  Here
> are some possible reasons: Line noise, ppp fragmentation, modem settings.
> There may be othe reasons.
>
> Line noise can't be discounted as a cause.  Try taking your phone out
> of the wall socket as they cause all sorts of noise (call waiting,
> and they draw power from the line every 20 minutes to keep those stored
> numbers in memory).

Definitely not line noise.  I had and still have error correction enabled
and I know the dataplex modems are VERY good when it comes to this.

> As for fragmentation, make sure you have 'always defragment' set in
> the kernel config.  Recompile a kernel with this feature if necessary to
> check it.  You should have this on with masq anyway. If the packets were
> getting fragmented due to smallish mtu at the upstream site you could see
> problems like this.

Yep, I have always had this option compiled in.

> Modems settings are always fun to play with.

Tell me about it.  My last job I spent many hours trying to get various
different brands of modems working together and talking to the equipment we
manufactured (electronic energy meters).  I know quite a bit about modem
configuration.  Even got a trip to Malaysia to fix a modem problem over
there (which turned out to be a cable fault !!!!)

Regards

Michael Anthon