[H-GEN] Strange DNS/ Ips

Matthew Tippett Matthew.tippett at dsto.defence.gov.au
Mon Sep 22 20:41:02 EDT 1997

Quentin Cregan wrote:

> I was trying to resolve isbandia.humbug.org.au the other day (in nslookup
> to see if that mound of papers had been processed), and came across
> something strange.
>
> Somehow, my request got passed to a strange dyndns service, and suddenly
> my name was aliased to isbandia.humbug.org.au.ml.org
> (I can't give greater clarification than somehow although this is
> critical)
>
> At first I thought it was some strange humbug mirror dns, but later upon
> playing with resolving, I found it to be some form of dyndns, encompassing
> anything.  eg. I tried ffkdsakf.fdsakkda.kskskd.dfkdsa.au.ml.org, and it
> resolved to the same address over and over.
>
> What I was curious about was how my request got passed and resolved to
> that?

Could have something to do with a mixture of a incorrectly (I did put
that period in, damnit!) DNS server and the lack of a FQDN.  There is
a difference (although implicitly they are the same)  between
isbandia.humbug.org.au and isbandia.humbug.org.au.  (note the 'au.' ).

I have seen that sometimes a query gets a local domain tacked on the
end of a DNS query at some upstream server.  Some DNS configs do a
*.ml.org as some address to make life easy for plebs.

Try the trailing period (it's actually for the domain above au called the
root domain, signified by a '.') and tell us how you go.

Matt