[H-GEN] Mail problems.......

Anthony Towns aj at humbug.org.au
Fri Sep 19 21:12:14 EDT 1997

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Michael Anthon wrote:

> I am trying to set up Linux at home so that I can fiddle/learn with it.
>  Having spent most of the last few years using Winbloze, I thought I would
> try out a real OS and see if I could come up with an uses for it.

Cool!

> The Situation
>
> [ISP <--> DX4 <- masq -> Cyrix. Mail from Cyrix takes a _long_ time]
>
> The Problem
>
> I am having trouble with the sending of mail.  I have tried several
> configurations such as
> - M$ Outlook via ipmasq to my ISP
> - M$ Exchange via ipmasq to my ISP
> - Netscrape Mail via ipmasq to my ISP
> - M$ Outlook delivering to Sendmail on the DX4, then being forwarded to
> where ever
> - Ditto with qmail.

What happens when you're sending mail directly from the DX4? (try
sending a mail with your kernel attached to your ISP account if you
don't have any more realistic large files handy)

If that's slow too, your problem is probably related more to how your
ISP connection is set up than masq or whatever. I'd check:
	a) that you can move large files about in reasonable time.
	   Try ftp. I've little idea how to fix this. Check that your
	   modem is set up right, that your pppd MTU and MRU are
	   reasonable, stuff like that.

	b) that you've got a working identd and/or named (bind
	   package?). This slows down telnet connections, but I'd not
	   have thought it'd slow down mail _that_ much.

	c) that you're forwarding mail to the right computer on the
	   ISP (but I'd say you are)

	d) this is probably related to the recent thread on
	   uq.dialin about large emails timing out. Since it never
	   happened to me, perhaps someone else can report any
	   recommended solutions?

If that's was _not_ slow, then I'd guess that you've misconfigured
your Windows box somewhere along the line. I've no idea _what_ would
cause this, but I'd recommend sending email between an account on your
DX4 and the Cyrix via qmail or sendmail while playing with random
settings. Try checking how long it takes to ftp from one box to the
other, if you've got an ftpd set up.

Personally, I'd recommend sending mail via sendmail/qmail on your DX4.
That way the Cyrix doesn't really need to know if the net is up or
down, and you don't have to worry about any masq vagaries very much.
Speaking of which, where does one actually get qmail from?

(I'd also recommend setting up squid (the http proxy) on the DX4. I
like squid)

Good luck!

Cheers,
aj