[H-GEN] Slow telnet and ftp ??

David Shackleton dshackle at pineapple.goldenglow.com.au
Tue Oct 28 19:37:27 EST 1997

Is there a simple way to disable the reverse lookups for a whole subnet,
without disabling idents completely?

I don't want our gateway to know the hostnames, and thus none are defined,
but this is (unsurprisingly) causing delays whilst the lookup times out.

(...and I'd rather block the whole subnet than declare dummy entries for
each and every possible address).

Thoughts?
-David

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Aaron Howell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 1997 at 12:29:29PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> > Probably your unix machine is trying to send an Ident query back to the
> > Win95 box.  The ms-damaged machine doesn't respond, and the query times
> > out after 60 or 30 secs.  Change the flags in inetd.conf or xinetd.conf to
> > stop ident queries.
> The other thing that can cause this is if the unix machine can't resolve the name of the machine which is trying to telnet in.
> Make sure one of the following is true.
> * you have a dns entry for the machine you are trying to telnet from which is accessable to the unix machine or
> * the machine you are trying to telnet from is listed in /etc/hosts on the unix machine in the form
> ip.address<whitespace>fully.quallified.domain<whitespace>hostname
> This one has gotten me quite a few times.

David Shackleton                      <dshackle at goldenglow.com.au>
Systems Analyst/Programmer           http://www.goldenglow.com.au
Queensland Biochemics Pty Ltd           <market at goldenglow.com.au>
trading as Golden Glow Health Products  <orders at goldenglow.com.au>
 /  `-' `.     home   Shackleton's Dilemma:
/         * <- sweet   I really should get back to work. I'll have
\_,---._,'     home    to put off procrastinating until tomorrow.