[H-GEN] Alphas

Martin Pool mbp at pharos.com.au
Mon Oct 27 20:55:07 EST 1997

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Rob Kearey wrote:

> Does anybody know a source of Alpha hardware in Australia, a la Annex in
> Britain?

"Sunrise Computer Systems" hawk them in Brisbane, but Sunrise and Digital
aren't very prompt about returning calls or email.  Hence the result: I
have an quote for an UltraSparc on my desk (somewhere :-), but not one for
an Alpha.

> they look at you as if you're an insane derro pointing
> at your shrivelled yellow penis and weeping hysterically.

Speaking of such things, there's a considerable amount of FUD around about
Digital's agreement with Intel about the Alpha, and whether Alphas will be
orphaned before they reach their full potential.  It's the most enjoyable
kind of FUD, of course: plausible, but probably bogus.

Imagine if Bill decides to drop the Alpha platform, leaving lots of cheap
fast machines to run Linux.  Not necessarily good in the long term, but an
interesting idea.

--
Martin Pool

(ispell suggests s/Digital's/Digitalis/: that is, "FOXGLOVE, the dried
powdered leaf of the common foxglove containing important glycosides and
serving as a powerful cardiac stimulant and a diuretic".  I wouldn't
know.)