[H-GEN] Wierd terminal. [Medium length]

Jason Parker ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Oct 27 10:17:15 EST 1997

YAQ (Yet Another Question):

I've gotten hold of a weird looking Wang terminal.  But I can't figure
out how to operate the damn thing, so I am hoping that a member of the
Humbug Collective knows something about them.

It's a Wang 4430, if that means anything to you all.  It does not have
a plug for a serial cable, rather there are:

 o 2 (two) bnc connections, one push-and-twist, the other is a
   screw-in connector;
 o 2 (two) little modular plugs, the same size and shape as keyboard
   connectors---in fact, one of them is just that.

When I turn the little blighter on, it goes through some diagnositcs,
dumps a copyright date, and some other rubbish[1] and then just sits
there, clicking whenever I hit a key.

I can't find a menu setup key of any sort, and I have no working
computer to use a network[2] card to fiddle with it with.  The wang
web page is no help, and uses frames, besides.  :(  The only reference
on the web that I can find is that some resellers mob in the states
flogs them for $80, and calls them workstations!?

Anyway, the model is a Wang 4430-VS.  I have a monitor, and keyboard,
(no power cable, I have to use the one from my dec term) and it only
cost me $10.  Surely one of our more senior members can help me out?
:)

Jason
ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au

[1] : I *could* unplug my dumbterm, plug the Wang in, and get the
      exact text, but I would lose my dialin connection.  :(  So I am
      not going to.  :)
[2] : Almost typed "nethack card".  I only wish.  :)

-----
`What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the sound of a wall that
people have stopped banging their heads against?' -- Larry Wall
ph330812 at student.uq.edu.au  |  NetHack player^H^H^H^H^H Addict.
Ascended:  Priest(2), Valkyrie(1), and Caveman(1) Next:  Rogue.
/Real/ games run under *Unix*.  cf:  NetHack, Doom, Quake, etc.