[H-GEN] Re: Project Idea: CVS repository

Martin Pool mbp at pharos.com.au
Tue Nov 4 21:41:09 EST 1997

> In fact, I've only ever seen 2 or 3 lecturers at qut that do
> encourage independant thought and learning (and only one was in CS -
> the others were DC

DC?

> and they
> were all unix-heads, with one of them being a rabid linux weenie :-).

"Here's a dollar, kid... get yourself a real computer." :-)

> This is reflected in the fact that the qut library never gets those
> type of books in, since there are never enough requests from
> lecturers/students to acquire them.

UQ's engineering library has about one copy each of most of the
MS-press books.  On the other hand, they have fifty copies of "Pascal
for Idiots".

> Windows programming jobs - the "Would you like fries with that?" of
> computing occupations -- me.

There's a real caste system there, I think: McJobs doing VB, and very
demanding jobs doing C++.

--
Martin