[H-GEN] Re: Project Idea: CVS repository

Wayne Meissner w.meissner at qut.edu.au
Tue Nov 4 21:26:00 EST 1997

Martin Pool wrote:

> IMNSHO, most second-year undergrads don't even understand that they
> need to read books like this, let alone have a grasp on the concepts
> within them.  An understanding and appreciation of those books would
> be one of the most important things I'd look for in an applicant for a
> development position... but they're few and far between.

Even worse, (at least at qut), computing science lecturers don't
encourage people to think (and/or read some decent books).  You can
quite easily get a 7 without committing 1 neuron to active thinking,
just by regurgitating the subject material verbatim.  In fact, I've only
ever seen 2 or 3 lecturers at qut that do encourage independant thought
and learning (and only one was in CS - the others were DC - and they
were all unix-heads, with one of them being a rabid linux weenie :-).

This is reflected in the fact that the qut library never gets those type
of books in, since there are never enough requests from
lecturers/students to acquire them.  Quite sad, really, but it is well
worth paying the money and getting the books if you want a more
reqarding job than "Would you like fries with that?".  But, on the other
hand, qut is a (supposedly)reflection of the real world, and 95% of
(australian)companies just want "butts in seats".

--wayne
Windows programming jobs - the "Would you like fries with that?" of
computing occupations -- me.