[H-GEN] Sun Solaris

Frank Brand fbrand at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Wed Dec 10 22:28:32 EST 1997

David Makepeace wrote:

> I forgot to mention that you can get Xfree86 for Solaris X86:
>     ftp://x.physics.usyd.edu.au/pub/XFree86/3.3.1/binaries/Solaris/
>
> That should give you a Ctrl-Alt-+.

Yes but I was really looking at CDE

> I have never had any problems changing the shell, and all I usually do is
> vi /etc/passwd.  Don't forget that there is an /etc/shadow on SVR4 systems
> as well.  One thing you must never do is change the shell for root,

This was my downfall!!

 this
> can render your machine unbootable.

No it boots but the root loggin fails!!!

  If this is what you want then you
> should put "exec /bin/ksh" at the end of /.profile.
>
> There is a file somewhere in which you can list the valid shells but a
> freshly installed Solaris (2.5) will let you use anything as a shell.

Only choices appear to be Bourne shell, Korn shell and either C shell or
tc can't think which

> The easiest way to change the shell is to use admintool.  You don't have
> to "su" to root to run admintool, just put yourself in the sysadmin group.
> If this group isn't in your /etc/group file then just create it with ID
> 14.

Yes I noticed that recommendation in the docs
--
Frank Brand
E-mail: fbrand at mailbox.uq.edu.au
Homepage: http://www.uq.edu.au/~zzfbrand