[H-ADMIN] Not at meeting 1st Dec

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Wed Nov 28 00:59:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-11-27 at 21:47 +1000, John Keogh wrote:
> I thought I did sign it ... never mind.

You did, I lost the page.  Probably after trying measure it with a
phone.

> I'm not a big fan of emailing signatures, but if so OK, I can supply
> some sort of signature image.

Yes, it's a security hole you can drive a truck through.  If it makes
you more comfortable I can bring it around to your place tonight and
you can sign it tonight, and for that matter I can do that for Joel
too. Or you can pgp email to russell-gpg at stuart.id.au.

Both those procedures gain you a little.  The hole you can't fix is the
bank (and just about everyone else - but ASIC insists on an original
signed with real ink) accepts a faxed document with a jpeg signature
plastered over the top.  Yes, I can get that signature from an email -
but I can also scan if I have the signed piece of paper.

Feeling unconformable about emailing signed documents is very
reasonable.  But unfortunately in this digital age the fix is not
simply to avoid emailing conventional signatures.  Its to ditch
conventional signatures entirely.  They will have to do it soon enough,
as not too far down the road I'm sure we will have a cohort of children
who've never hand written a word - let alone know how to sign their
name.