[H-ADMIN] HUMBUG mailing lists

Joel Addison jaddi27 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 18:14:11 AEST 2016

> On 30 Oct. 2016, at 9:25 pm, Russell Stuart <russell-humbug at stuart.id.au> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 2016-10-30 at 21:03 +1000, Joel Addison wrote:
>> From this, I take it that the reverse DNS has not fixed the issue
>> with Gmail.
>
> It has been fixed.  The ticket was submitted the the night we discussed
> it, and openvirtuals acted on it a short while later.

Sorry, I meant Google accepting email due to now having the reverse DNS. Thanks for sorting out the reverse DNS with openvirtuals.

>    $ host excalibur.humbug.org.au
>    excalibur.humbug.org.au has address 192.227.243.198
>    excalibur.humbug.org.au has IPv6 address fd00::c0e3:f3:c600:0:0
>    $ host 192.227.243.198
>    198.243.227.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer excalibur.humbug.org.au.
>
> The IPv6 address is a bit of a worry - we don't have one.

Is this something we can get, or is this not something that our current hosting offers?

> Clinton and I had a chat about the Google issue when I drove him home.
> The one remaining problem is we do get the occasional piece of spam
> through our lists.  Google probably doesn't like it.
>
> We only get spam through the open lists - ie, ones you don't need to be
> subscribed to post to.  A straight forward fix is to tell mailman any
> post from a non-member to this lists must be held up for moderation.

That is probably a good idea for the time being. I don’t mind moderating the list if it means that we don’t get blocked by large email providers.