[H-ADMIN] Shut down of Humbug email alias service

Bruce Campbell bruce.campbell at zerlargal.org
Mon Dec 19 15:24:49 EST 2016

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016, admin at lists.humbug.org.au wrote:

> Dear Humbug email alias user,
>
> Humbug has decided to discontinue the email alias service
> that we have offered, due to the amount of spam that is
> delivered to people with these aliases which has the side
> effect of damaging Humbug's reputation and making it
> difficult for us to deliver mail to people on our mailing
> lists.
>
> The alias service will be discontinued at the end of
> January 2017. If you still use your alias(es), please take
> immediate action to move things to your normal address so
> that you won't lose mail after January.

As the originator of the service way back when, I have three comments to
make:

 	a) awwww

 	b) Please send an update to each non Humbug address listing the
 	   Humbug aliases that point to said end address.

and

 	c) When replacing them, please put the error message as
 	   'Forwarding discontinued, please contact the end user directly'
 	   or similar instead of the default 'no such user'.  This will
 	   make it clear to senders of any legitimate mail that the
 	   original user (may) still exist somewhere online.  Obviously
 	   don't put the original end address in the error message as
 	   spammers will simply spam the end user directly.

Finally,

> Humbug Exec

Creative use of deed poll there.

--