[H-ADMIN] Internet access

Joel Addison joel at addison.net.au
Fri Dec 16 00:42:01 EST 2016

Hi all,

I’ve talked to people at UQ about the humbug user account to see if it can be reenabled or not. The answer is no.

To access internet via eduroam, you need to have an individual account, with all usage tied back to a person. Humbug having one account being shared by everyone does not fit this model. Further, giving out external accounts would not work due to ITS at that point effectively being an ISP for us, which opens a whole lot more issues.

So I think going forward, the appropriate option is to use personal internet or access the UQ Visitor Network, which is available to everyone. This will meet the internet access guidelines as required.

Joel