[H-ADMIN] Room Bookings for Humbug for 2015 semester 1

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Sun Dec 7 20:02:56 EST 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 00:36 +0000, EAIT Timetables wrote:
> I need to know what your group does and the EAIT connection?  I'm going to be asked this at some point so need to know.

We are a computer club established in 1995 by UQ students, and have met
at fortnightly at UQ since that time onwards.  Back when Humbug was
formed it was about students exploring various versions of Unix and the
Internet.

As time moved on focus has shifted from Unix and the Internet to Open
Source.  We are now the Brisbane focal point for Open Source.  We ran
Linux Conference Australia in 2011 (http://2011.linux.conf.au/), PyCon
Australia 2014 (http://2014.pycon-au.org/ - a conference for the Python
Computer language) and will be running PyCon AU 2015.

We encourage student membership of the club, but aren't overly
successful in attracting them to meetings.  However we need unpaid
volunteers (everyone involved a unpaid volunteer, but we need more than
Humbug can provide) to help run the conferences and when we put the word
around the local campuses they always turn up - most recently for PyCon.
We could not have run the conferences without them.  We also sponsor
students attending these conferences.  For example, we sponsored 2
students from UQ and 2 from QUT (chosen by the relevant faculties) to
attend PyCon AU 2014.  (We also offered to sponsor two from Griffith,
but they didn't respond in time.)

You can find out more about Humbug at our web site:
http://www.humbug.org.au/

Will that suffice Lou?

--
regards,