[H-GEN] Humbug AGM 2018 Minutes

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Sat Oct 6 12:41:36 UTC 2018

HUMBUG AGM 2018

    Minutes taken by: Joel Addison
    Place: Room 224, General Purpose South (Building 78), UQ

Agenda Items

The current agenda is as follows:

Contents

    Meeting Open
    Attendees and Apologies
    Confirmation of Previous AGM Minutes
    Reports
        Exec Reports
        Non Exec Reports
    Nominations and Voting
        President
        Secretary
        Treasurer
    General Business
        VPS Hosting
    Meeting Close

1. Meeting Open

    Meeting opened by Joel Addison at 17:02

2. Attendees and Apologies

    Joel Addison
    John Keogh
    Greg Lehmann
    Russell Stuart (with proxies for Clinton Roy and Jared Ring)
    Greg Black
    Raymond Edwards
    Simon Ellis
    Murray Yates
    Tim Kent
    David Makepeace
    Gareth Moores

    Apologies:
    Clinton Roy

3. Confirmation of Previous AGM Minutes

    Motion: Accept the minutes of the of the previous AGM.
    Proposed: Joel Addison
    Seconded: Russell Stuart
    Result: Passed unanimously.

4. Reports

The aim of these reports is to present what has happened during the
year in relation to the club.

4.1.1. President's Report

I'd like to welcome everyone to the HUMBUG AGM today.

HUMBUG has been going along as normal again in 2018. We have not run
any events directly, but we have had reprentation at local events
(thanks Clinton for this as always).

Numbers have been fairly consistent at meetings over the year.
Membership numbers have also stayed fairly constant again this year,
which is a good position to be in. We are having our meetings in rooms
belonging to the ITEE school again, which is good as we are now within
the area of the university directly related to us.

Continuing from last year, people from HUMBUG have been involved in a
bid for Linux.Conf.Au. A bid was finally submitted and Linux Australia
has now evaluated this. The result will be announced at Linux.Conf.Au
2019 in Christchurch.

Clinton has been a huge part of HUMBUG for a long time. Unfortunately
the time has come for Clinton to depart HUMBUG, after moving
interstate. He has been a great asset to the club, attending many
events to promote HUMBUG and to offer whatever support he can to help
those events be successful. He ran PyCon Australia in Brisbane in 2014
and 2015, spending HUMBUG meeting after meeting planning and organising
to make sure the conference would be a great success. He has also been
involved in Linux.Conf.Au when it has been in Brisbane, and we are
fortunate enough to continue having him involved in some of our
upcoming projects. I would like to thank Clinton for his time on the
HUMBUG Exec over the years and wish him well for the future.

Finally, I'd like to extend my thanks to Clinton and John for their
work on the Exec this year, and Russell for continuing to be system
admin. I wish the new Exec the best for the next year.

    Motion: That the President's Report be accepted.
    Proposed: Joel Addison
    Seconded: John Keogh
    Result: Passed unanimously.

4.1.2. Secretary's Report

I've not handled much mail this year, which can certainly be seen a bad
thing. Most of my time has been spent handling room bookings. I have
shared my room bookings contacts with the rest of the exec.

The bank handover from previous year was a complete shambles, totally
on the banking side, it took half a dozen trips to the bank to sort out
exec ownership of the two accounts. I strongly suggest the future
secretary gets signed print outs of changes before leaving the bank in
future. As much as possible, try to test web access at the time of the
meeting.

I think my biggest failure this year was to not drive the adoption of
the Code of Conduct properly, and now that the AGM is upon us, it's too
late to do anything.

A big thank you to Stephen Viller, Michelle Dobson and Michael Brunig
from ITEE for their continued support of Humbug.

This will in all likely hood be my last exec report for Humbug ever,
now that I have moved interstate. I cannot understate just how
important Humbug has been to my career and life.

    Motion: That the Secretary's Report be accepted.
    Proposed: Joel Addison
    Seconded: Greg Black
    Result: Passed unanimously.

4.1.3. Treasurer's Report

Accounts

    Savings Account
        $1,706.05 === Balance as at previous AGM (2017-09-23)
        + $30.00 (Membership payments x 1)
        - $800.00 (Transfer to Term Deposit Account)

        + $164.39 (Transfer from PayPal)
        $1,100.44 === Closing balance (2017-09-22)
    Term Deposit
        $8,555.65 === Balance as at previous AGM (2017-09-23)
        + $800.00 (Transfer from Savings Account)
        + $192.49 (Credit interest)
        $9,548.14 === Closing balance (2018-09-22)

    PayPal
        $68.19 === Balance as at previous AGM (2017-09-23)
        + $525.00 (Membership payments x 21)

        $20.20 (PayPal charges = 20 x $0.95 + 1 x $1.20)
        - $164.39 (Transfer to Savings Account)
        - $19.25 (Webserver - Pay VentraIP)
        $389.35 === Closing balance (2018-09-22)
    Overall Position
        Total at previous AGM: $10,329.89
        2017/2018 Profit: $708.04
        Club Assets: $11,037.93

Membership

    Financial members at 2017 AGM: 18
    New members joining: 2
    Renewing members: 15
    Financial members at 2018 AGM: 17

    Motion: That the Treasurer's Report be accepted.
    Proposed: John Keogh
    Seconded: Russell Stuart
    Result: Passed unanimously.

4.2.1. Sysadmin Report

We moved the VPS to current version of Debian. Rewrote the spam
defences to reduce levels of spam coming through. Have resolved issues
of the mailing list dropping email addresses. Have resolved issue of
website going down.

Did have issue with VPS killling us due to using 100% CPU time. Seems
to have been due to not having a robots.txt, and a crawler spamming us.
This has now been resolved by blocking the crawler.

    Motion: That the Sysadmin Report be accepted.
    Proposed: Russell Stuart
    Seconded: Greg Black
    Result: Passed unanimously.

5. Nominations and Voting

Returning officer: Gareth Moores

5.1. President

    Nominee        Proposer         Seconder    Accepted?  Vote
    Joel Addison   Russell Stuart   Greg Black  Yes        Unanimous

5.2. Secretary

    Nominee        Proposer         Seconder    Accepted?  Vote
    Joel Addison   Russell Stuart   Greg Black  Yes        Unanimous

5.3. Treasurer

    Nominee      Proposer     Seconder         Accepted?  Vote
    John Keogh   John Keogh   Russell Stuart   Yes        Unanimous

6. General Business

6.1. VPS Hosting

    Added by: Russell Stuart

We have found an even cheaper Australian VPS hosting provider.
Resources of this are quite good, and it provides us with an Australian
IP address. We will be looking to move to this in due course.

    ACTION: Exec will discuss this, and Russell will act on this soon.

7. Meeting Close

Meeting closed at 17:20

--
Russell Stuart